Haughton Man Flees from the Law, Doesn’t Get Far

Haughton Man Flees from the Law, Doesn't Get Far

A Haughton man has been booked into Bossier Max after running from law enforcement officers and actively resisting while being taken into custody, according to the Bossier Parish Sheriff’s Office.

Jonathan C. Waites, 31, of the 900 block of Wells Road in Haughton, was wanted on multiple charges, including kidnapping and battery of a female.

Authorities say Waites apparently became angry when a female victim tried to leave in her vehicle.

IdentiyForce | 40 Years of Expericen

“Waites broke both mirrors off of her vehicle and picked up a pole and threatened to break the windows if she didn’t get out of the vehicle,” a BPSO release says. “When she got out, Waites grabbed her and forced her inside the trailer against her will. He then used a t-shirt to try and strangle her. A bystander at the scene intervened, and the victim was able to get away.”

She contacted authorities after escaping.

The U.S. Marshals Fugitive Task Force assisted in locating and arresting Waites near his residence on July 3, but it was not an easy collar, the sheriff’s office says.

“When U.S. Marshals agents and Bossier deputies responded to Amanda Lane on the afternoon of July 3 to arrest Waites on those charges, he decided to flee. They saw him in the backyard, and he decided to jump the fence in the back of the residence. He refused verbal commands to get on the ground. He kept running across Wafer Road and then ran north, crossing over about three fences behind homes, all the while refusing to comply with verbal commands from pursuing officers,” the BPSO release says.

After a nearly half-mile chase, Waites was taken to the ground by force — but kept resisting. Finally placing him into handcuffs, he was checked and cleared for arrest by EMS and transported to the Bossier Maximum Security Facility where he was booked on the following charges:

  • Resisting with Force
  • Second Degree Kidnapping
  • Aggravated Battery
  • False Imprisonment while Armed with a Dangerous Weapon
  • Simple Criminal Property Damage
  • Failure to Appear – Possession of Drug Paraphernalia
  • Probation Violation – DWI

Additional charges were filed after Waites was booked. Authorities say the victim had a temporary restraining order against Waites, and he was not to contact her. However, he called the victim twice from jail on July 7. He was charged with two counts of Violation of a Protective Order.

Waites faces a $601,000 bond.